Thursday, January 6, 2011

Couch-to-5K: Am I Out of My Ever-Loving Mind?


When people ask me if I run, I always give them the same response: Not unless I'm being chased.

So why the hell am I considering training for a 5K run?

I have really been enjoying working out these past couple of weeks. I am a BIG fan of anything involving punching and kicking - it's a great way for me to get out some of the stress of the impending trial, crappy health insurance, and looming tax bill and unemployment. And unleash some of the EPIC rage I have for my rapist and some of the other rape-related bull-poopy. But I am also really enjoying the running part of the program. And it's not killing my knees like I expected it to.

Thanks to a thread that got going on my cousin's Facebook page the other night, I heard about a website called Cool Running, which in turn has a page called "The Couch-to-5K Running Plan". You can find it at www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And I said to myself "5K really isn't that far. I bet if I put my mind into it and got into better shape, I could totally run a 5K."

So now I'm thinking about research running shoes, because I don't have any (the photo above is of my new walking shoes.) Frankly, I've never NEEDED running shoes, because I wasn't running anywhere. And I'm not completely positive my knees are physically capable of running a 5K, because to be frank, they kind of suck.

But I'm willing to give it a try. I'm not going to start training until after the trial - I've got WAAAAAAAY too much to do between now and then, and I'd definitely break training during the trial. But I'm going to keep working out and eating better and taking care of myself - I'm being kind of selfish right now, but that's what I need to do, because I know myself well enough to know that unless I take good care of myself, I'm going to be a bigger neurotic mess than normal by the time we go to trial.

So stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Kristen! My recommendation is to go to a good running store rather than Foot Locker kinds of places. They'll have you try on different shoes, watch your stride/run and basically tell you what you need! It takes the guess work out of it for you, and gets you a good pair of shoes. I started running during a really difficult time in my life, and it actually really helped relieve the stress quite a bit. I hope you like it too!

    tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be a runner - at least one that enjoys running on the treadmill (for more than 2 minutes) and ultimately a 5K.

    ReplyDelete